In case your phone accidentally falls into the water, what comes to your mind is how much it will cost you to repair it. Well, the cost varies according to the model of your phone, the extent of damage and the level of expertise of the specialist handling it. In this article, we will focus on the cost of repairing water damaged iPhones.
Immediate steps to take after your iPhone is damaged by water.
- The first step should be retrieving your device if it has fallen into a body of water or other liquid. Do it as quickly as possible, since the longer or more continued the exposure, the more damage can occur to your phone.
- The next step is whisking as much water as possible from the external parts of the phone. You can use a lint-free cloth or any other absorbent such as a towel. Don’t try to dry your phone by using blow-dryers or fans. Also, make sure no button is pressed since doing so will push water further into your phone.
- Remove the battery, SIM card, and any external pieces attached to the phone if possible.
- Open your phone as much as possible without making the screws loose. Place a towel and put your phone upside down to let any inside water to leak. Leave iPhone on the towel for at least 24 hours before using it.
- You can also use a vacuum extension to suck the liquid up. Keep your water damaged iPhone at least a few inches from the vacuum cleaner.
Cost of repairing a water damaged phone
Check the iPhone water indicator.
Any iPhone designed after 2006 contains a built-in iPhone Liquid Contact water damage indicator, normally close to the battery. This indicator is externally visible on all iPhone models on the edge of the device. For iPhone 3, 3G, 4, and 4S they have an indicator on the bottom of the dock connector housing and in the headphone jack. While for iPhone 5’s water damage indicator is on the inside of the nano-SIM card slot. This indicator turns from white to red when it is exposed to water or a liquid containing water. If this indicator is triggered, then you have to consult an expert on how to repair your phone.
Apple Official Service
You should note that neither the Apple One-Year Warranty nor the AppleCare Protection Plan covers water damage repair for iPhone. This means that you have to replace your iPhone device for $60 to $180, depending on the model. Alternatively, if you have AppleCare +, your phone repair won’t cost more than $79.
DIY With an iPhone Water Damage Repair Kit
You can also decide to repair your iPhone all by yourself. If this is the case you will have to purchase a water damage repair kit. This kit costs between $30 and $40 and usually contains the instruments for opening your phone, clothes and cotton swabs to use to clean your device. It also has a corrosion cleaning solution, replacement battery, and a repair video to assist you.