Facing a flooded basement is bad enough, but having to deal with the aftermath is a totally different story. It doesn’t matter whether you have experienced several feet of water in your basement or just a few inches in the basement after a big storm, or even experienced leaky water pipes or broken down the heater, in your basement.
Well, in many respects the mess is usually the same. This will pose one of the biggest problems which are the musty and moldy smell, which it leaves behind. Therefore, in this article, we will focus on what you should do in order to get that moldy smell out of your basement.
How to get rid of the musty smell from your basement?
1) Eliminate dampness.
The very first thing you have to do in order to remove the musty smell of mold and mildew in your basement is to remove any standing water, repair water leaks, and trickles or even damp conditions. Since mold and mildew is a fungus which is spread by spores that thrive in dark, damp and poorly ventilated areas you have to eliminate such conditions in your basement. This is the reason why the basements in some older homes are more prone to mold infestation and have a stale and pungent odor.
Removing the musty smell of molds starts with ventilating and drying the affected area. This can be done using a wet and dry vacuum to suck up standing water. In case of damp conditions you can consider using fans to dry the area and in the event of excess humidity in the atmosphere, you can use Dehumidifiers to pull moisture from the air.
2) Confirm whether any of your properties are damaged.
The next step is counter checking whether any of your items are damaged- be it your carpet or leather stitched seats. If any of them is affected you should focus on treating them through drying or replacing them in case of total damage.
3) Look for remaining signs of mold or mildew
After you have dried out the affected area and removed all the properties that you can, you should then start looking for visible signs of mold. Mold can be found in cracks and crevices, around pipes and window panes or along the bottom of walls. Mold has a dark color and often it is black in color. After identifying where it is growing you should then use the following mixtures to remove it.
The first mixture you can use is a mixture of one cup of chlorine bleach mixed with one-gallon water. Alternatively, you can also clean and deodorize using a mixture of vinegar and water. This mixture can be prepared by mixing one Quart Plain White Vinegar with three Quarts of Water.
These mixtures can also be used to clean any affected item after which you should allow to air out.
4) Ensure free air flow
To prevent re-infestation of the molds you should ensure you regularly open your windows, keep your fan running to avoid damp environment.